In Celebration of Cinema

Hey there my lovely blog readers,

By having more free time it means that I can actually have time to write blog posts again - woo! So here's another instalment of my observations for your reading pleasure.

The topic that I would like to share my thoughts with you today on is that of films, and going to the cinema, specifically.

Despite being a lover of reading, writing, books and words from when I was very young - and throughout my life - I have always revelled in, and admired, films and the cinema at large.


I'm also including a selection of quotes that speak to me about the wonder of cinema :)

From when I was very little (although some might say height wise I have not advanced that much) movies were an escape, a treat and another language/means of bonding too. Films also accompany some of the most prominent memories of my life so far from going to see Toy Story 2 whilst my sister was being born, to birthday outings, celebrations and so on.

For me a cinematic outing always rings of something magical - even if the film itself does not live up to potential - as it can change your mood or complete your day. It brings a sense of simultaneous excitement and peace. The nature of the experience itself dictates that - if done properly - you sit still for an hour or so, in the dark, immersed in a depiction of another life. You can loose yourself, find yourself, be yourself, or anything in between. For me it becomes a ritual within which I am calmed and comforted.



This leaving of worries, outside pressures, responsibilities etc. outside of the screen doors is part of the freeing aspect of watching films. Which is enhanced by the fact that there are very few times in life nowadays when you actually are not glued to your phone, and entering the cinema provides the opportunity to do so. (For those people who use their phones during movies or don't turn them off/put them on silent - that is not the way to enjoy a film!)

The cinema has always been a place which has provided excitement too. I can remember many a midnight screening (sometimes dressed in Harry Potter costume) that meant less sleep for a day at school but was so worth it. I treasure memories of weekend trips that centred around going to see a new release, or when I organised movie marathon days with friends. This excitement could also be furthered by the fact that going to see a certain film before other family members or on repeated viewings put you in position of certain knowledge and power. (Mwhahaha...)

Regarding money and cinema, the act of going to see a film is sometimes not considered a worthwhile excursion because of the price in comparison to other activities and when you add snacks, travel etc. it seems like too much of an indulgence, right? Wrong.

Yes, I will admit that the price of my local cinema back in Northern Ireland used to do great deals on a Tuesday that meant for a tenner you could see three films if you had the time. This meant that the opportunities I had to luxuriate in the attendance of cinema were increased. Yet, despite the increase in ticket prices when I made the move back over to England for university I was still happy to dedicate a portion of my income to go see films and celebrate cinema. It was worth spending the money on and there was that magical thing called a Student Discount that made it all a bit more manageable too; Even if I do find myself splurging on the delicious homemade ice cream at the Showroom Cinema pretty much every time I visit...




I cannot understand the viewpoint which leans towards dodgy streams online or pirated copies and does not want to embrace the beauty of seeing a film in a cinema or through a legal method. Yes it is easier and cheaper but the time, effort, planning and talent that goes into making a film is why it's worth paying for a ticket or buying the DVD because through this support directors, actors, screenwriters etc. can go on making the films we love.


Furthermore, the act of going to the cinema, of watching and celebrating film - whilst being a very good reason for a social outing and meeting up with others - does not have to be a communal excursion. It can be an act of self-care, and a personal treat. Something which I have learned to lean into, celebrate and be active about doing over the past year - so much so that it's become rather of a habit. It's the experience of going to the cinema, not the company you keep when doing so, that matters in the end.



Yet conversely the act of going to the cinema does encourage healthy discussion and debate - which can build (and break) relationships and friendships, but are one of the great parts of what a cinema trip entails: the post-viewing conversation. It allows you to get closer to others through learning their thoughts on a film and whilst infamous discussions in my family regarding films, like Anna Karenina for example, have proved verbally flammable they are still great for what they illuminate.

Above all I feel like cinema should be celebrated because it is an inclusive experience. Cinema gives us a chance to find what we like, what makes us happy, what inspires us, and a chance to use your voice to express your opinion. You don't have to be an expert as we can all experience a film and share our thoughts about it. The welcoming, equalising aspect of cinema is one of its greatest aspects and should be celebrated.



Other Thoughts On Cinema:

- One of the ways I celebrate cinema is by keeping all my tickets and being able to look through all my memories, it's nice to keep a scrapbook or memory box if you're a sentimental cinema goer like me.

- I have found (through excellent parental recommendation) that the best relaxation pre-exam results is going to the cinema. Regardless of the film, it reduces my frazzled nerves to more of a niggling worry and gets me to switch off for a bit when all my brain wants to do is focus on imminent failure. I wholeheartedly recommend this as a pre-results excursion!


- One of my family's favourite things to do after a cinema visit when I lived in Northern Ireland was to pick up an Indian takeaway on the way home. There is nothing quite like the anticipation of tasty food and curry just hits the spot after a tough evening of film watching :)


- Whilst I may not study film and I think it would ruin the magic of cinema a little for me. I loved getting to study a Woody Allen module as part of my degree as it meant that I got to know a little bit more about how film works technically and learn about how certain directors interact with the world of cinema. It has also meant that I have had a little bit of knowledge to contribute to conversations with my film studying brother.

- Cinema drinks and food can often be expensive but you often need that sweet, tasty accompaniment to a film. Rather than going hungry head to a shop before hand and get a good deal, or bring something from home. Snacks are key. But popcorn is not all its cracked up to be...

- The trailers are one of the best part of going to the cinema. I love getting to see what's coming up in the next few months. The adverts are the worst.

- Film reviewing is fun and is one of the great parts of how to celebrate and critique cinema. My small experience of reviewing films for Forge (my university newspaper) was fab, encouraging me to see new films, develop confidence in my opinion and flex my journalistic muscles. Whilst it's not going to be what I do full-time I love doing it too and have great respect for those who have a talent for it.

- Film has allowed me to make great friends and cement friendships. I will always celebrate cinema because of that!

Ultimately...

I love everything about film and it has weaved itself into the fabric of my life. Cinematic quotes and segments have become part of my everyday reference point, and I honestly would not change that for anything. I mean, yes, I'm not a film buff and there are still many, many gaps in my cinematic knowledge which mean I can't get all the references my fellow cinephiles make. But this does not mean that I have anything less to offer. I may not be able to give you a breakdown on the types of shots used in a particular movie, recall a director's complete filmography, or get every single one of references to other films in a review but I know how watching a film makes me feel. I can articulate my reaction to motion picture or documentary. And above all I am passionate about celebrating cinema which should be the focus of all these arenas of discussion. 


My enthusiasm for film has meant that I have stayed up until absurd hours to watch the Oscars Ceremony, dedicated time to marathoning movies before the next instalment comes out and been able to get involved with volunteering at the excellent Sheffield Doc/Fest for the past 2 years as a cinema steward. 

This latter benefit has been a particularly amazing opportunity to develop a strong love for documentaries and been able to understand more the massive amount of work that goes into making a film possible. Reminding me that the reason why cinema is important is because of the possibility the medium creates for gripping, instructive or immersive storytelling regardless of the fictional or non-fictional nature of its content. I adore Doc/Fest and film festivals in general because they provide a space in which to really celebrate and converse about cinema with such a range of people. Alongside encouraging networking, development of skills and making friends along the way. I cannot wait until next June when I get to celebrate documentary, film-making and cinema all over again!

Finally, the fact that Sheffield has 5 - to my knowledge - cinemas plus the University of Sheffield's Film Unit at the Students Union, means that my film-loving heart is very content and spoilt for choice on a regular basis. Just another reason to celebrate the wonderful city that is Sheffield alongside celebrating cinema itself.

Thank you so much for reading. Now go watch a film, I'll be back with another post soon. If you need me you can find me at the nearest cinema...

Much fictional love,
M x

Songs of The Post: Oh! Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison (from Pretty Woman)
                          
                          Johnny B. Goode (from Back To The Future)

            Ghostbusters Theme - Ray Parker Jr.

            Star Wars Main Theme - John Williams

                                      Hedwig's Theme - John Williams (from Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Pace Yourself: The Freedom of Running

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019