The Big Birthday One

Hello my lovelies,

I hope this blog post finds you well and relaxed. Sorry for the belatedness but it has been a pretty hectic couple of weeks. 

I started back at University this week which is a bit crazy considering I've been in Sheffield for over a month now I think but it feels far to soon as Holidays weren't really a break with essays to write and exams to revise for so I felt like I needed a week to recover after my last exam on Tuesday last week. Already this week has been a busy one - even though I am already only three days in- with lectures, seminars, societies and work all coming to the forefront again.

However this busyness is beautiful (as well as tiring) and I am blessed to have the wonderful opportunities that I have.

But what really has dominated the last week and a bit has been my 20th birthday. If you remember in my last blog post I was worrying about what it would mean to leave my teens and 'grow up'. However I have resolved to work on 'growing out' instead. Keeping the good childish bits that I like about myself and the more mature aspects too. This last week has been a good mixture of the two.

So indulge me whilst I reminisce about these wonderful celebrations and drag out the upbeat feelings a bit longer.

So my birthday was Monday 2nd February. A seemingly innocent date, easy to remember and for the majority of my life free from the stress of exams which were over and done with in January leaving February free for fun and celebrations. This year was to put a damper on such a tradition with the horror of my first university exams being coupled with my last exam THE DAY AFTER MY BIRTHDAY!!! 

Despite this indecent intrusion of real life and maturity I made sure to include some appropriate activities. Thus early on my birthday morning (the first I had spent away from family and loved ones) I made a new tradition by embarking on the Pancake Quest II. And this time we were successful heading to Nosh and getting free pancakes because it was my birthday. They were soooo good! 

Chocolate double stacked pancakes to die for!


Nicola was excited about the pancake quest II completion

Food that guarantees a smile!

Then I prolonged the rest of my freedom before returning to do revision by collecting my free birthday gift from the Body Shop. This was really hard to choose as I love everything there. Literally everything. But I eventually settled on a lovely lip conditioner to help me out during the end of the winter months.
Still some snow left for my birthday!


I then collected some cake on my mothers orders and returned home for revision. Le joy. My flatmates really did help keep my spirits up throughout and I am indebted to them for not letting me over look the day completely. Concluding with a lovely bath, Broadchurch and some cake.
Patisserie Valerie is THE Cake Place


Lemony goodness

The lovely little candle holder my sister made me for my birthday
combined well with my friend Jess' christmas present of a bath bomb
to relax me!


The next day was the real celebration as after waking stupidly early and completing the exam I then could enjoy the celebrations and not feel guilty about binge watching 'Once Upon A Time' on Netflix. That evening was a real birthday highlight as my Sheffield 'family' came together to celebrate the end of exams and belatedly my birthday with a lovely meal at Pizza Express (aside from the embarrassing singing). 


My favourite Pizza Express pizza - the Pomodoro Pesto :D

Tried the new Honeycomb Slice for dessert, was very tasty!
The waiter put a candle on my dessert so cue the embarrassing restaurant singing
Happy Birthday humiliation 


It was an evening that reminded how blessed I was by all the lovely people in my life and I'm not sure whether it was the free bottle of Proseco but I felt overwhelmingly happy.


LOVE LOVE LOVE these people :)

Other highlights of my birthday week included a lazy day of lie-ins and tv, an indulgent shopping outing and movie viewing (I haven't really stopped humming Into The Woods Yet), a catch up with friends, and Harry Potter film viewing accompanied by Hot Buttered Rum Apple Cider made by Nicola and yours truly. Who says you can't have the best of both worlds? :D  Reinforced my love for nights in too!
Jaffa Cake milkshake to go with Into the Woods film screening, perfect combo!

Some tasty treats my friend Hazel made me for my birthday!

The recipe 
The ingredients

The brewing


The film


The drinks
So good! Would definitely recommend for adults looking for a winter warmer!


The celebrations culminated in getting to see my family including cousins, Uncle, his partner and my Grammie. I had been missing them so much since Christmas and it was a really treat to see them and show off Sheffield a bit. I am blessed with such lovely family and they treated me to ice skating, a meal out and getting to see an Ice Hockey game on the Saturday. I love ice skating to bits but don't go as much as I like and despite the damage to my knees (the bruises still haven't faded) it was amazing and I managed to surprise myself by keeping up with my cousins who go a lot more regularly. It is so freeing. I have also found a new sporting love in Ice Hockey. Cannot describe how amazing it was. These pictures cannot convey the atmosphere!

Was impressed by the speed most of all!


Would go again in a heart beat :)
There were several fights!

They hardly ever fell over.

Build up!


My dream job, Zamboni driver.

Steelers!!


Sunday was chilled as I woke up early to have a fantastic Premier Inn Breakfast before showing the folks around Sheffield and the uni before grabbing coffee after which they left to begin the long journey back down to Cornwall. It was over so soon but so special!
It wasn't the traditional celebrations at all but life is about the ability to make new traditions and I very much think I'll be keeping some of these.

Anyways that was a rather long and rambling description of some of the wonderful things I got up to for my Birthday week and I hope it provided a brief diversion for you in the midst of what's going on for you. I promise my next post won't be so discursive but I just couldn't not rave about the happy times I'd had!

I wish you all the best for the rest of the week and invite you to check back in the next few days for another instalment of Observations of a Fictional Girl.

Much love,
Mx

Song of the Week: Keep on Movin' by Five is one of my fav feel good songs to enjoy listening to this beautiful musical throwback!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me